Crompton Parkinson Electric Pump
This electric pump was the last to be installed on the site, in 1937. It is a 114 h.p. (85kW) Crompton Parkinson electric motor that drove a 18 inch (0.46m) diameter Gwynnes' centrifugal pump in the basement below it through a vertical shaft.
Its purpose was to cope with increasing storm surges from the new housing estates and increased drainage to the sewers. It pumped to holding tanks only.
When the pumping was in commercial use, this electric pump was always the last to be started in the event of a storm surge, because the cost of electricity was so high and the electric motor was quite inefficient.