Revitalising the Engineer’s House on Riverside
Many people have wondered about the fate of the handsome but sadly neglected, Victorian house beside the Museum. Built in 1898 to house the Engineer for the Pumping Station, whose steam engines pumped away the city’s sewage until 1968, the house was an integral part of the original site.
Now, after almost 50 years, the Engineer’s House is to be reunited with the Museum. We will restore the house to its former glory, reclaim the garden and create an exciting new space for exhibitions, research and a community hub.
Can you help?
The house has been damaged by vandalism and fire. In its current neglected state it is a target for further damage. We have launched a campaign to fund urgently-needed repairs and security measures as well as running costs.
To donate to the Engineer’s House project, please visit https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cambridge-revitalising-the-engineers-house or make a bank transfer to Engineers House, account number: 00029377, sort code 40-52-40.
This vital work is not covered by the Heritage Lottery Fund award secured for improvements to the main site.